It is interesting to see how automobile companies are trying to prevent accidents. Those back-up cameras are a good help, but Volvo is putting some very interesting features on their newest models, starting with their 2014 series.
You can watch the video and see that it has pedestrian detection in darkness, which will cause the car to slow to a complete stop when a pedestrian walks in front. It also has animal detection, in case a deer or moose crosses the road, and you also have to come to a complete stop. Another feature is road edge and barrier detection, as well as vehicle-to-vehicle communication.
What really is interesting is the self-parking feature. Can you imagine just getting out of your car, and just letting the car just park itself? Yeah, I have no idea how that will work, but I think we all want the self-driving cars like in I, Robot.
You know what, I just realized something wrong with I, Robot. In the film, Will Smith has a painful backstory where he gets into an accident, and a robot saves his life instead of a nearby girl. The accident was caused by an overworked truck driver, but doesn’t he live in an age where cars drive themselves? Wow, that is a huge hole in that movie, unless his backstory/accident took place before self-driving cars.
I believe that Volvo has a plan to remove auto accidents to 0 by 2020. Someone in the video says that “humans cause 90 percent of auto accidents”. What is the other 10 percent?
Leave a Reply